5 Jul 2007

More on Polish Builders

When I last wrote about Polish bulders, it was mostly in glowing terms. However, I did add a warning note: Doubtless there will be a few Polish rip-off merchants and quite a few useless Polish builders, just as there are with all ethnic groups, in all walks of life.

As if to bear this out, an unhappy story comes to my attention today, also emanating from Edinburgh, although I think this is mere co-incidence.

The moral is this. Don’t suspend all your critical faculties just because the builder comes from Poland and looks to be cheap. Not everyone born in Poland is a saint. And, despite what my previous story was advocating, try not to pay cash upfront. I know it’s easier said than done, but most building horror stories have the phrase cash upfront somewhere in the telling of the tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment